Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Googlology: Ground Rules


Two days away from the first tip of the NCAA men's basketball tournament and I am all ready to join the educated guessing tomfoolery that is "bracketology," as ESPN wants to constantly remind me they think it should be called. If you are looking for tips from mere humans (albeit very well informed ones) in order to fill out your office/facebook/espn bracket sheet then I'd recommend Burnt Orange Nation, who in my opinion have some of the best insights on the interwebs. If you are looking for tips from the ultimate-turbo-omniscient-probably-creepy-but-who-cares supercomputer that is Google, you have come to the right place. 
My take is that knowing and analyzing every single stat on every single team in the NCAA will only provide so much insight into the outcome of the tournament. Unless you attend George Mason University you probably weren't even close last year. That's why, just like every other situation in my life when I can't figure out an answer, I'm turning to Google.

Ground Rules:
  1. Each "game" of the NCAA tournament will be simulated two days before the actual game is played. 
  2. Each game is played by individually searching the name of the two universities' basketball programs (i.e. "The University of Texas Longhorn Basketball").
  3. The team with the most total search results advances to the next round.
  4. New result numbers will be found each day.
  5. In case Google is wrong (the internet is always right), the real-life match-up will be done alongside the Google tournament match-up.

No comments: